Please Support Zebra Huddle!

Recent Posts

Re: Probable Elbow vs. definite Cut... by BadgerBadger
September 01, 2014, 07:08:35 am

Re: Probable Elbow vs. definite Cut... by Numb3r Crunch3r
September 01, 2014, 01:46:59 am

Probable Elbow vs. definite Cut... by Technical Difficulties
August 31, 2014, 09:55:53 pm

Re: CRG Scoreboard - how do you configure to show dots for timeouts remaining? by 1600-DOCTORB
August 31, 2014, 01:05:11 am

Re: CRG Scoreboard - how do you configure to show dots for timeouts remaining? by SilkenTofu
August 30, 2014, 03:38:19 pm

Re: CRG Scoreboard - how do you configure to show dots for timeouts remaining? by Major Wood
August 30, 2014, 02:33:18 pm

CRG Scoreboard - how do you configure to show dots for timeouts remaining? by 1600-DOCTORB
August 30, 2014, 09:39:45 am

Re: New NSO Manuals by llama of death
August 29, 2014, 11:22:07 pm

Re: OOB Yield vs OOB Block by Vanilla VICE
August 29, 2014, 08:58:14 pm

Re: OOB Yield vs OOB Block by Bluebeard
August 29, 2014, 08:30:49 pm

Author Topic: Skills and drills for roller derby referees in training  (Read 26985 times)

Offline Bishop

• Referee
  • Superhero Member
  • Stats Sheet: 51
  • Quoth the raven, "Nevermore."
  • League Affiliation: Charlottesville Derby Dames
  • Referee Certification Level: Level 2
  • NSO Certification Level: Not Certified
Re: Skills and drills for roller derby referees in training
« Reply #45 on: July 18, 2009, 11:10:16 pm »
I can do it exactly as she does in the film, and at that speed, too ;).  It doing it at pack speed that's the problem.  I think it's just a lack of confidence at this point.

If you are considering skating backwards as an outside pack ref, be sure to read this thread.

Also, I'd be very surprised if certification required backwards break falls for a front-to-back transition at speed.  I mentioned a scenario recently where a very skilled skater from my league broke both of her wrists when she fell down when skating backwards.  It was at an open skate and she wasn't wearing safety equipment.  Even if you do wear safety equipment, you still shouldn't use your arms to absorb the impact when you fall or you could mess up your shoulder.  One thing that will help is to keep your knees bent like you would for a derby stance so that you have less distance to fall until you reach the ground.  
« Last Edit: July 18, 2009, 11:18:41 pm by Bishop »
Recommended Resources:WFTDA Rules Central, WFTDA officiating & Successful Sports Officiating
Propose rule changes at timeout.wftda.com.

Offline Noah Tall

• Referee
  • Stats Sheet: 25
« Reply #46 on: July 18, 2009, 11:26:07 pm »
I can do it exactly as she does in the film, and at that speed, too ;).  It doing it at pack speed that's the problem.  I think it's just a lack of confidence at this point.

If you are considering skating backwards as an outside pack ref, be sure to read this thread.

Also, I'd be very surprised if certification required being able to do a forwards to backwards transition on the outside of the track at "pack" speed (a fast pack, that is.)  However, I could see where they'd want to know how well you could do for the sake of measuring your overall skating skill.  I, and others on this forum, find skating backwards most useful as a front inside pack ref.  I skate backwards from time to time when jam reffing, but not often.  

See, the cert test doesn't say what speed, it just ranks your level of ability.  Well, I can do it, just not at high speed.  Every member of our league must be able to turn around and skate backwards, but we are not currently judged on our speed.  So, I just wonder what gets a low rank, and what gets a high rank?  Does it depend on league, is there a set WFTDA guideline?  I suppose it doesn't really matter, either I can do it or I can't :).  If I can't, then I can always try again.  Right now, I suppose I need to work on shaving off those last couple of seconds from my 10 lap time ;)
WFTDA Ref Rep
WFTDA AP Area Coordinator
Arkansas

"We may not be skilled, but at least we're impartial!"

Offline Sintax

• Referee
  • Stats Sheet: 3
  • Presuming legal intent since 2009.
  • League Affiliation: South Side Derby Dolls, Australia
  • Referee Certification Level: Not Certified
« Reply #47 on: September 28, 2009, 11:21:58 am »
Besides the squats, situps and planks, what off-skates training is best for helping with these skills?   
Over-thinking is a good thing.

Referee and Master of Officials, skating with South Side Derby Dolls, Australia.

Offline Darkjester

• Referee
  • Has Too Much Damn Time Member
  • Stats Sheet: 39
  • "When in doubt, RTFM"
  • League Affiliation: Beach Brawl SK8R Dolls
  • Referee Certification Level: Not Certified
« Reply #48 on: September 30, 2009, 01:39:44 pm »
Box Drills, Dot Drills, Ladder Drills.. Endurance running. ( Cardio)

The box, dot, ladder drills will increase your foot agility, dexterity and balance which will crossover well into skating.

You can do a simple net search on any of those ( or probably even a youtube search) and find them as well.
Madness Tolls
69¢
Beach Brawl Sk8R Dolls
Fort Walton Beach FL

Offline Cliquework

• Global Moderator
  • Superhero Member
  • Stats Sheet: 55
  • EGO sum Speculum. Noxiae poena par esto.
  • League Affiliation: Demolition City Roller Derby
  • Referee Certification Level: Level 3
« Reply #49 on: April 07, 2010, 06:21:29 pm »
New/Modified version of the 10'/20' guessing game:

Referencing Tootie's earlier post of guessing/betting on the distance between two skaters game via measuring tape, I have a modification.

I honor of college hoops I propose a bracket system, pitting pairs of refs together for a "bout" of distance guessing. Each bout can be arranged as you see fit: Single guess each, best 2 of 3, change distances guessed at, average the distances guessed, etc...

Educational Twist: The loser of each bracket moves on. Reflecting that the loser must guess again (next bracket). The loser needing the practice...

The game you don't want to "win". Pushes one to get better I suppose.
Demolition City Roller Derby Head Ref
Evansville, IN
Zebra Huddle Moderator
WFTDA Refcert Checklist

Offline Jazzy

• Referee
  • Stats Sheet: 0
« Reply #50 on: April 12, 2010, 05:17:06 pm »
Its a simple Idea, but I feel its worth mentioning.  If you want to be a strong/good/awesome skater, you must skate.  As often as possible.  Don't leave your skates in the  trunk of your car or in  your gear bag only to pull them out for practice.  Skate all the time.  if you work/go to school near where you live skate there.  In the evening go out skating instead of watching the world burn in the news.

the point from above I believe is the most valid.  If youre not comfortable with your skating skillz you dont belong on the track.  If your thinking about moving your feets or trying to keep up, or thinking about managing a turn or how to wiggle around a downed player, youre not thinking about that elbow that was just thrown or that last track cut. 

So the point im trying to make, is skate all the time.  The only way to get good at something is to do it over and over and over.  Its even better to contantly skate with some one slightly or greatly better than you, that way you will constantly push your self to be as good as them.

Offline noidd

• Referee
  • Stats Sheet: 28
  • Start with 100% accuracy and get better over time.
« Reply #51 on: April 12, 2010, 07:07:06 pm »
The only way to get good at something is to do it over and over and over.

Practice doesn't make perfect, practice makes permanent.

Please make sure someone checks your skating form and gets you in good stead before you start drilling those movements deep into your brain matter.

The longer you practice something with poor form, the harder it is to correct it later.  Sadly, I speak from experience in this regard.

--
Referees are not here to legislate, dictate, pontificate or participate.  We are there only to facilitate.

Offline Jazzy

• Referee
« Reply #52 on: April 12, 2010, 08:13:21 pm »
The only way to get good at something is to do it over and over and over.

Practice doesn't make perfect, practice makes permanent.

Please make sure someone checks your skating form and gets you in good stead before you start drilling those movements deep into your brain matter.

The longer you practice something with poor form, the harder it is to correct it later.  Sadly, I speak from experience in this regard.

Very good point.  I had a teacher that would always say "Perfect practice makes perfect."

But again I will mention skate often with some one that is better than you.  You will learn alot faster that way.

Offline Stegoscorus

• Referee
  • Stats Sheet: 51
  • STOP. Collaborate, and listen.
  • League Affiliation: Rose City Rollers
  • Referee Certification Level: Level 3
« Reply #53 on: April 13, 2010, 08:22:55 pm »
Also, if you're going to skate outdoors, get outdoor wheels!  For serious.  They will not only make it much more feasible for you to skate on outdoor surfaces, but you won't crud up your indoor wheels and thereby crud up your practice/bouting surfaces.

If you do have the opportunity to skate outdoors, do it though.  It takes more energy, and makes you stronger.
WFTDA Certified Referee - Level 3
Founding Member, ARROW
Portland, OR, U.S.A.

Offline Chubby Chase-Her

• Referee
« Reply #54 on: July 13, 2010, 04:43:34 am »
We require all of our refs to go through rollergirl fresh meat training.  They must pass level 1 training in order to start their ref training (except in special circumstances.)

I think that the training received is essential in becoming a good ref.  Falls, crossovers, endurance, speed, CROSSOVERS, pushes, and even some whips (which I have gotten during a game) are all great things to have a good grasp on during a bout.

Something that we are working on in practices is giving a good and full penalty call at high speed.  I stand outside the outer ref lane and tell what the penalty is while they are going at top speed.  They then have to make the whistle and call while maintaining their speed and getting through any obstacles in the lane.
~~Chubby Chase-Her~~

Offline Captain Gorgeous

• Referee
  • Stats Sheet: 18
  • Hate me because I AM beautiful.
« Reply #55 on: July 14, 2010, 05:13:16 am »
We require all of our refs to go through rollergirl fresh meat training.  They must pass level 1 training in order to start their ref training (except in special circumstances.)

I think that the training received is essential in becoming a good ref.  Falls, crossovers, endurance, speed, CROSSOVERS, pushes, and even some whips (which I have gotten during a game) are all great things to have a good grasp on during a bout.

Something that we are working on in practices is giving a good and full penalty call at high speed.  I stand outside the outer ref lane and tell what the penalty is while they are going at top speed.  They then have to make the whistle and call while maintaining their speed and getting through any obstacles in the lane.

Bone up on the league's insurance restrictions for co-ed contact during practice. Some carriers/policies don't allow it and could render coverage invalid. Though we all know supplemental insurance should never be primary coverage.
WFTDA Level 2 Certified Referee

Featured Product

Zebra Huddle Head Referee Bout Booklet

Featured Classifieds

ZH Files

June 2013 Ruleset situational questions
Rating: *****
Downloads: 404
Views: 695
Filesize: 29.71KB
Date: February 07, 2014, 04:57:32 pm
Comments (2)
By: Crash Test Ref
Rules Q&A and Publications for 6/15/13 Document
Rating: (None)
Downloads: 714
Views: 1073
Filesize: 26.27KB
Date: August 02, 2013, 04:10:40 pm
Comments (0)
By: Shaun Ketterman
Rules Q&A and Publications for 1/1/13 Document (4/24/13 Updates)
Rating: *****
Downloads: 1325
Views: 1343
Filesize: 28.07KB
Date: April 25, 2013, 05:45:34 pm
Comments (0)
By: Shaun Ketterman
Scrimmage Paperwork and Statsbook
Rating: (None)
Downloads: 788
Views: 1760
Filesize: 0KB